14 february 2020
The legal gap in the field of personal data protection is planned to be eliminated in the Republic of Belarus. The House of Representatives of the Republic of Belarus has been considering the draft law “On personal data protection” in the second reading.
A short summary of changes to be introduced:
• the determination of “personal data” will be given, categories of personal data (public and special) will be introduced, principles and conditions for handling personal data will be determined, terms and procedures for handling personal data will be unified in accordance with the requirements of international law and foreign legislation (in particular, the norms of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) will be implemented),
• the procedure for transborder transfer of personal data will be determined, the rights of personal data subjects and obligations of state authorities, legal entities and individuals with regard to handling personal data will be confirmed, measures for information protection and additional guarantees will be established against unreasonable and uncontrolled collection, storage, use, other processing, distribution and provision of personal data of individuals.
After the adoption and entry into force of the Law of the Republic of Belarus “On personal data protection” all legal entities shall:
• streamline personal data management,
• ensure protection of personal data of not only contractors and customers (consumers) who are individuals and whose data is processed, but also of their employees,
• clearly define the list of information to be obtained for processing,
• in writing or electronically obtain the consent of individuals to processing their data,
• comply with all the measures to ensure protection of personal data and meet all the requirements for operators with regard to handling personal data, to organize the internal operations of the company,
• comply with other obligations established by the law.
You can read the draft law here: http://pravo.by/document/?guid=3941&p0=2019023001